All curly-haired women crave soft, well-defined bouncy curls. Although there are many products in the market that promise to tame curls and make them manageable, few of them deliver impressive and consistent results.
Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie is a product specially formulated for thick, curly hair. It claims to tame frizz and add definition to curls. So, does this product deliver all that it promises?
Let us take a closer look at this product to find out whether it is worth its claims.
What is Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie?
The Shea Moisture brand was founded by Sofi Tucker, who ventured into the homemade hair and skincare products industry as early as 1912. Over the years, Shea Moisture has built up a reputation for delivering high-quality products using only ethically sourced and environmentally sustainable ingredients. All products from this brand not only use natural ingredients but are violence-free and never tested on animals.
Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie is a product of the Shea Moisture brand and is available in 12-oz, 340 g peach-colored containers.
If we take a close look at the Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie, we will see that this formulation has several hair-loving ingredients in a luscious coconut oil base. These include:
- Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Aloe Extract
- Silk Protein
- Neem Seed Oil
- Carrot Seed Oil
- Extracts of Honeysuckle, Japanese Honeysuckle and Hibiscus Flowers
- Vitamin E and B-5
The smoothie appears to be white with a thick, creamy consistency. It is non-sticky, with a very mild and pleasant scent of coconut that is barely discernible. Although Shea moisture curl-enhancing smoothie can be used for all types of hair, it produces best results on thick curly hair.
Recommended Method of Use
Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie can be applied to both damp or dry hair. Nevertheless, better results are produced when it is used on wet hair. It is recommended to shampoo hair before application so that no other hair products are weighing your hair down.
Initially, you may find it tricky to figure out the right quantity to use since too many products can make your hair look greasy. However, too little amount may not produce the actual results you would like to see.
With two to three trials, you should be able to figure out the right amount for your hair. Start with a small quantity and observe the results. It may help to remember that since this product is thick and luxurious when compared to similar products, a smaller amount is usually sufficient to produce results.
Here are the different steps to applying it for the best results.
- Wash and shampoo your hair as usual. Use a towel to get rid of excess water and leave your hair slightly damp.
- Section your hair as you usually do.
- Take the required quantity of Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie in your palm and slowly massage it into your damp tresses.
- Scrunch up your curls as you massage the product into your hair to improve the absorption of the product.
- Now let your hair completely dry on its own. You will see that your curls have more definition and look more voluminous once your hair dries.
You can also use the Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie with a diffuser to improve results. Let us look at this in closer detail.
How to Use the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie With a Diffuser for Better Results
If you have curly hair, the diffuser attachment with your blow dryer can make the entire drying process much more comfortable. With the diffuser attachment, you can not only reduce frizz and even out your natural curls, but it also adds extra bounce to your hair.
The Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie will enhance the results of this process and make your curls even more attractive.
To begin, apply a suitable quantity of this product to the palm of your hands. Then transfer it to the entire length of your damp hair using the Praying Hand method where you apply the product to your hair and hold it between your palms and slowly pull it down to spread the product along the entire length. Once all strands are coated with the product, use the diffuser attachment, and blow-dry your hair as usual.
Finish it off with the heat setting on your dryer at low.
Other Uses of the Shea Moisture Curl
We discussed how the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie could enhance curls with or without the application of heat. Apart from these purposes, it also serves the following purposes.
- Refreshes dull and tired hair: If you do not have time to shower and your hair appears dull, you can use the Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie to refresh it quickly. Apply a minimal quantity directly to your hair to instantly lift it. Alternately, you can also dilute it with water and spray it on to improve the texture and shine of your hair.
- Adds shine and moisture to hair: If your hair appears too dry, use this product to add moisture to your locks. Apply a small quantity to your hair with your fingers to make it more manageable and shiny.
- Tame frizz: If you have several tiny flyaway hairs, this product will help you get all that frizz under control. Apply the product to your hair before you work on your hairstyle, and it will keep it looking neat.
- Train your curls: Prevent your curls from settling in different directions and looking disheveled by using this product to tame your curls.
Main Benefits of Using Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie is a product that produces the following benefits.
1. It is perfect for thick and curly hair
There are plenty of products for curly hair of medium thickness. However, it is not always easy to find reliable products for thick, curly hair. Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie is a beautiful product in this regard, as it improves the texture of thick hair and makes it more manageable.
2. Works well even in colder months
Most women who use curl enhancers end up straightening their hair when the weather gets cold, as regular products do not produce comparable results as in the warmer months. However, Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie is suitable for year-round use, and it will keep your curls as fresh as ever even when the temperature is low.
3. Natural ingredients that are free from unwanted side-effects
The Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie contains a wide range of hair nourishing natural ingredients, each with definite benefits for curly hair. Since this product is free from Sulphates, Parabens, and other harmful synthetic agents, it is non-irritating and harmless. Hence it can be even suitable for young children.
4. Excellent hair nourishing properties due to its powerful ingredients
Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie has several hair-loving ingredients that produce the following benefits when applied to your hair.
- Coconut oil, which forms the base of this product is an excellent moisturizer that improves hair texture and shine.
- The product also has antiseptic agents like neem seed oil that keep the scalp and follicles free from germs.
- Macadamia Ternifolia seed oil strengthens hair and rejuvenates hair follicles. It is also a suppressor of free radicals in the hair and skin that cause premature greying.
- Carrot seed oil stimulates hair growth and adds much-needed moisture to dry scalps.
- Honeysuckle oil and Japanese honeysuckle oil detoxify hair and improve strand strength.
- Hibiscus oil is excellent for hair growth and shine. It is a rich source of Vitamin C that boosts collagen production and improves overall hair texture and density.
- Avocado oil stimulates hair growth and eases dry scalp conditions making it more manageable.
- Aloe extracts have excellent anti-oxidant properties. They also help to reduce hair fall and hair loss.
5. Pleasant, non-overpowering smell
Although Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie contains a variety of natural ingredients, it is almost odorless. Upon close inspection, you will experience a faint whiff of coconut that is not overpowering or intense. Since it does not introduce any strong scent into your hair, you won’t find it clashing with the fragrances you wear regularly.
6. Price is very reasonable
For the results that it produces, Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie is very reasonably priced. It is a budget-friendly styling product suitable for regular use, without having to shell out a fortune. You will also find that small quantities produce impressive results. Hence it is long-lasting and efficient as well.
7. Softens tight curls
If you want to add more bounce to your curls and reduce tightness, this is the product to opt for. When growing out straightened or relaxed hair, this product can make the transition easier. The nourishing contents in this product will also ensure that new hair growth is healthy and manageable. Follow the usage instructions, and your hair will be more manageable, and the curls will hold their shape for a long time.
8. Reduces frizz while bringing out the curl
The main benefit of this product is that it improves the texture of hair by making it frizz-free. It also makes hair soft and helps to define curls better and make them look less messy.
Drawbacks of using Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie
Although this is a product with many benefits, the following limitations are also associated with it.
1. Texture is heavy
Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie is lush and creamy, and its texture is thicker than many other products that used for the same purpose. While this may not pose a problem for most users, it will not suit everyone. It can take time to adjust to the thicker texture, as it can weigh your hair down.
2. Adds significant shine to hair
Although the product is not too greasy, your hair can end up looking very shiny when you apply it in excess. It can also rub off on your skin when you touch it. Hence, it may not be the ideal choice for women who prefer dry hair to a glossy look.
3. Hair takes longer to dry than usual
The Shea moisture curls enhancing smoothie coats every hair strand. So, your hair will take longer to dry when you apply this product to damp hair. Nonetheless, you can always speed up the drying process by using a blow dryer. The diffuser attachment will produce amazing results, and this is something you should consider if you want to highlight your curls.
4. Takes more effort and product to wash the curl enhancer out
As with most hair care products, continuous use of the Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie ends up with product build-up in your hair. Hence, mild shampoos may not thoroughly wash it out of your hair. You will have to use strong shampoos to strip your hair of the product and restore it to its original condition.
5. Not recommended for thin and porous hair
The Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie is ideally suited for thick, curly hair. Although it will also work on wavy hair and hair of medium thickness, it may not be the best product for such hair types. Since it adds moisture to the hair strands, this can weigh down thin hair and make it appear very greasy.
6. Can feel greasy and thick in warm weather
While this product is just perfect for holding and defining curls in cold months, the ingredients in this product like coconut oil, neem seed oil, and silk protein can feel thick and greasy in warm weather. This should not pose a problem if you tend to shampoo regularly, or if you do not mind the extra hydration and shine, it adds to your hair.