Many people have dark circles under their eyes. This can be embarrassing, as many people will ask why you look so tired, when in fact you may have had dark under eye circles for most of your life.
Many people choose to use under-eye concealers or foundation, hoping to hide the problem. But there are natural products that will help to decrease and stop the appearance of under-eye circles. This is a more permanent solution than simply trying to cover them up with cosmetics each morning.
Why Do Dark Circles Happen Under Eyes?
There are many factors that can lead to dark under-eye circles. Often we may see some light circles that no one else will notice, but the skin can thin as it ages, showing dark purply lines under the eyes as we get older.
Generally, thinning skin and such factors as stress or natural aging can force the blood vessels closer to the surface of the skin. This results in those dark purple or black semi-circular lines.
Eye puffiness can also increase the appearance of dark eye circles.
Other factors, such as heredity can play a part, particularly if one or both of your parents also has the dark circles problem.
Lack of sleep or excessive tiredness can also play a role in their unsightliness.
Allergies and constantly rubbing your itchy eyes can make blood vessels dilate too.
No matter what the reason is, most people want to find a way to improve their looks. Hiding dark circles with cosmetics can become time-consuming and expensive. But there are effective ways to decrease their appearance, such as using almond oil.
You may also make specific recipes with the purpose of improving your appearance.
Why Almond Oil is Your Best Choice for Under Eye Circles
Almond oil is not only good for hair and skin care but can also be an effective treatment for under the eyes. While you can consume almond oil, when using it as a dark circle remedy you’ll want to topically apply it to your skin.
Almond oil is full of nutrients and beneficial properties to help your skin. It can be easily applied to the face and has few side effects. It’s also safe when ingested internally, so you can be confident in using it on your skin
Almond oil is also used as a medicinal oil in the Unani medicine system.
Almond oil is extracted directly from almonds. Almonds are actually a drupe—a fleshy fruit—rather than a nut. The plants are commonly grown in the Mediterrenean, Spain, Middle East, and USA.
There are different varieties of almond oil which can result in slight differences in taste, and result in differing price points when purchasing it online or in a store.
There are two different classes of almond oil. One type is extracted from bitter almonds. This type of almond oil contains hydrogen cyanide, a poison, so it is not eaten. In many countries, bitter almond oil products must be processed to extract the poison before they’re allowed on the market. This ensure that they are 100% safe, whether you consume them or use them to get rid of dark eye circles.
This makes using bitter almond oil internally or externally completely safe, so that no toxic chemicals remain after it has undergone a heating process.
The second type is extracted from sweet almonds. These are the type of almonds that we can find to eat in stores. The almond oil is called sweet almond oil and has a slightly sweet taste to it.
It’s up to you whether you choose to use bitter almond oil on your dark circles, or sweet almond oil, but note that the bitter almond oil has undergone additional processing.
The almond oil works to decrease the appearance of black circles immediately, but if you want long-term benefits, you’ll need to continue treatments for about six weeks. This is the length of time that it takes for your upper skin layer to regenerate.
The almond oil will help your skin to generate more skin cells more quickly, and to become thicker like when you were younger. Naturally thicker skin will provide an extra layer to cover those blood vessels.
How Almond Oil Works On Face?
Almond oil has therapeutic properties that can be an effective under circle treatment. It can also benefit the body in many other ways.
- Works as an anti-inflammatory both on the skin and internally.
- Good anti-oxidant to stop harmful free-radicals in the body.
- Good immune booster to fight colds and flu bugs.
- Excellent moisturizing properties.
- Good sclerosant for treating spider veins, varicose veins, and hemorrhoids.
- Light laxative for constipation.
- Good at relieving mild pain for bruises and minor cuts and scrapes.
- Good anti-fungal and anti-bacterial product.
- Also serves a double purpose at helping to erase fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes, and helps to decrease the unsightly inflammation from eye bags.
- Does not contain synthetic preservatives or colours, or have unnatural added fragrances.
- Has a pleasant and light aroma that’s not offensive or that bothers people such as when using olive, castor, or coconut oils.
- Is a simple treatment that anyone can do at least once per evening.
How to Use Almond Oil to Decrease Appearance of Dark Circles
It’s simple to use almond oil on your face to help decrease the appearance of dark circles. Follow these steps to look your best.
- Do your almond oil treatments at bedtime.
- Wash your face with a mild soap and clean washcloth.
- Pat dry with a fresh towel.
- Do not apply moisturizer!
- Pour a couple drops of almond oil onto your fingertips.
- Gently massage the oil underneath both eyes with your pinky finger.
- Use a tissue to blot if you’ve added too much.
- Leave overnight.
- Wash your face normally in the morning.
- Avoid using makeup around eyes during the course of your treatment.
- Repeat this process nightly for six weeks.
Best Almond Oil Recipe to Get Rid of Dark Circles
If you find the consistency of almond oil a bit too oily, you can create almond oil recipes to improve it and to add additional healing benefits.
Almond oil and honey together will help improve its texture and be effective if you have really bad under eye circles.
Ingredients and Supplies List
Collect together the following supplies and ingredients.
- 5 to 6 drops of almond oil, any type.
- 1 tablespoon of raw, organic honey.
- Clean washcloth and towel.
Method to Make Under Eye Honey Almond Oil Mask
Do the following steps to make your under eye mask.
- Wash your face with a gentle skin cleanser.
- Pat dry with the clean towel.
How to Apply Honey & Almond Oil Mask
- Mix the drops of oil and honey in the palm of your hand.
- Pat it onto your under eye skin gently.
- Leave on while you do the rest of your evening routine.
- Gently wipe off the excess with a damp washcloth.
- Pat dry but do not rinse.
- Wash your face normally in the morning.
- Avoid using cosmetics around the face.
- Repeat treatments every evening for 6 weeks.
Other Effective Natural Remedies for Lightening Dark Circles
Many people who suffer from dark under eye circles like to try more than one treatment. It depends on the individual person as to which you may prefer. Give a few of these other tips a try.
- Stick with your evening almond oil treatments but try something different for your morning routine.
- Ensure you still wash your face thoroughly before application of any natural products.
- Cucumber slices. One slice can be cut in half and each can be placed under the eyes. The cold temperature can also constrict blood vessels so the swelling appearance is reduced.
- Coconut oil. This not only has the benefit of decreasing the appearance of under-eye circles but can also soften lines and wrinkles under the eyes.
- Lemon or lime juice. If you go this route, ensure you don’t get any in your eyes. You’ll have to thoroughly wash it off after a 2 minute treatment.
- Baking soda. Mix it with a bit of warm water and apply to under your eyes for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off thoroughly.
- Turmeric. Mix this spice with a bit of water and apply to under your eyes. Be careful not to get this one in your eyes as it will definitely sting. Turmeric is also effective at reducing swelling, so if you have bags under your eyes it will help that too.
- Get enough sleep. There’s not much point in buying natural products and doing these treatments if you’re not going to get a good night’s sleep each night. If you find it takes you an hour to nod off, go to bed one hour early, or get up one hour later, to ensure you get a full 8 hours of actual sleep.
How to Store Almond Oil
Almond oil is sold in a small plastic bottle with pop-up cap that dispenses a few drops at a time. The oil is naturally a clear yellow colour.
Usually a 100 ml to 200 ml bottle will last you a long time. You want to ensure that you store your almond oil properly, so that it lasts for several years, or until the expiry date.
The bathroom is the wrong place to store your almond oil, despite being the number one spot where you’ll do your almond oil dark circle treatments.
Store your almond oil in a dark cupboard away from heat or moisture. The kitchen is fine as long as it’s away from the stove, sink, or dishwasher.
Be sure to twist the cap on securely, or snap down in place after you’ve used it.
Warnings or Precautions When Using Almond Oil
Almond oil is 100% natural and contains no other ingredients, but you should still follow warnings and precautions when using it.
- Do not use other oils, creams or lotions when doing your almond oil treatments.
- Only apply almond oil or other dark circle eye treatments to under your eyes. Never apply them above or surrounding your eyes.
- Do try your almond oil treatments once a day for 6 weeks.
- Avoid getting the oil in your eyes as it can cloud your vision.
- Do use a tissue to blot up excess oil. If it’s runs down your face, you’ve used too much.
- Follow the storage instructions above about storing it in a cool dark place.
- Do not use if it smells rancid.
- Do not use if it’s past its expiry date.
- Buy from a reputable manufacturer with proper labels, particularly if you’re buying bitter almond oil.
- Do not use if you’re pregnant.
- If you suffer allergies, test a few drops of oil inside your wrist.
- Do not use almond oil if you have an almond oil allergy. Use caution if you’re allergic to other seeds or nuts.
- Discontinue usage if you get hives or a red rash at any time.
- Try to purchase the highest quality oil that you can afford, such as organic sweet almond oil.
- Try to be patient with treatments. Many people say they notice an improvement in the first 48 hours, but then nothing until the 4 to 6 week mark after that.
- If you’re really concerned about dark circles that have suddenly sprung up, book an appointment with your doctor to discuss.
Final Thoughts on Using Almond Oil to Banish Dark Circles
Almond oil is an effective way to banish those dark circles that can become embarrassing. People can be tactless and ask if you’ve spent too many nights awake, or if you’ve been working too hard. Often dark circles really have no cause, other than something you inherited from parents, or from having a bad cold or allergies.
Start applying almond oil to your dark circles today. If you have a special event coming up, the sooner the better. Soon you’ll look your best for your special event, without having to wear a ton of makeup!