Many people engage in outdoor recreational activities that can cause the skin to darken over time. Some people deliberately choose to darken their skin, while others have no choice—having to work outdoors, or they forgot to apply sunscreen lotion.
What Causes Skin Tanning?
Many people deliberately spend time on the beach or at the pool, in an attempt to darken the skin. Some people even visit suntanning businesses where they sit on a tanning bed with ultraviolet lights. Either way, the result is the same.
The skin color naturally darkens when exposed to the ultraviolet radiation from the sun. It’s the body’s way of coping. The sun triggers the production of melanin in the skin. Skin cells called melanocytes produce melanin.
A sunburn occurs when the melanocytes can’t keep up with the skin’s exposure to the sun’s rays. It’s the body’s way of saying that it had too much sun and to get under cover.
Best Home Remedies for Removing Skin Tan
There are some home remedies which will help to remove skin tans. Fortunately, home remedies don’t require any hard-to-find ingredients. Most of the items needed for exfoliation or tan removal masks can be purchased from most grocery stores or supermarkets.
Exposure to too much sun may have resulted in dry skin. You may have some scaly patches if you’re recovering from a sunburn. Only exfoliate if your skin has healed and has no redness or scabs left.
Choose a natural exfoliant such as sugar, to use in the bath. It will slowly melt with warm water, so you’ll never over-scrub your skin. It’s also inexpensive. Use this simple method once every three days.
Skin Lightening Sugar Scrub
If you want to increase the properties of your skin exfoliator, make this simple skin scrub recipe. The sugar will remove the dead skin from your face, while the lemon juice will naturally lighten your skin. The olive oil will provide moisture, while not clogging pores.
- 1/8 cup of regular sugar.
- One teaspoon of olive oil.
- One teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- One small bowl.
- One spoon.
Mix up all of the ingredients together in the bowl. Don’t over mix, as you don’t want the sugar to dissolve.
- Apply the skin scrub to your face with your fingertips.
- Gently rub it all over the tanned regions of your face.
- Avoid eyes and hair.
- Suitable for rubbing on lips, particularly if they’re dry.
- Gentle scrub for two minutes, then leave on your face for another five.
- Use your sugar scrub recipe once every three days.
- Does not store well, as the sugar will eventually dissolve in the juice.
- Use any remainder on your elbows and knees.
Tan Removal Face Mask
A naturally bleaching face mask may be the solution to removing tan from the face. It requires a few ingredients that can be found in most homes or grocery stores. Since it doesn’t involve exfoliating, you can use this face mask more frequently than the sugar scrub recipe.
Collect together these ingredients to make your tan removal face mask.
- Two tablespoons of gram flour, also known as chickpea flour
- Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon, squeezed
- A few drops of milk
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- One bowl
- A large makeup brush
Follow these simple steps to make your tan removal face mask. Mix up the ingredients right before you need them, rather than mixing up a large bowl and attempting to store it.
- Mix all of the ingredients into a bowl.
- Add more milk if the mixture isn’t spreadable.
- Don’t make it too runny as it will slide down your face.
How to Apply:
You’ll need to apply your face mask daily until you begin to see noticeable improvements. Stop the treatments after your skin has returned to an optimum shade.
- Using the brush, apply it to the brown portions of your face.
- Avoid eyes, lips, and hairline.
- Don’t apply to untanned areas of your face, as its purpose is to bleach out the tanned portions.
- Leave the face mask on for fifteen minutes.
- Rinse off the face mask with lukewarm water.
- Apply your face mask once a day to start, then switch to once every two days for one week after.
Other Ways to Naturally Lighten Your Face Tan
Many fruits and vegetables contain vitamin C, including potatoes. Cut off a piece of raw potato and use it to rub on the darker areas of your face. Avoid your eye region.
Other beneficial vegetables include tomatoes and cucumbers, as they also contain high amounts of vitamin C.
Aloe vera juice contains many natural skin-healing properties, which can also be beneficial for helping skin color to heal back to normal.
It’s said that aloe vera can make your skin extra-sensitive to the sun, so if you choose to use this treatment, ensure that you wear sunscreen or a hat when heading outdoors.
Coconut water is not only beneficial for helping your body to replenish nutrients, but it’s also good for the skin too. Apply it with a cotton puff. There’s no need to wash it off after application, and the natural moisturizing properties from the coconut will also be beneficial to your skin. Apply it as often as you wish.
Prevention of Further Skin Tanning
As your skin heals, your tan will fade over time. During the weeks when you’re applying your natural skin remedies to your face, be sure to cover up and use sunscreen before heading outdoors. This will keep your face from tanning further. You can also wear a hat or use a parasol.