Castor oil has been in use as hair oil for ages, and it has shown remarkable results. It is also used as a moisturizer to treat skin related problems.
If you use castor oil regularly, it’s good to know a thing or two about how it should be stored or how long does it lasts.
Of course, there are several ways through which you could store castor oil, but make sure you protect it from specific environmental conditions to prevent it from getting spoiled.
While making a purchase, make sure the oil bottle is closed correctly and tightly packed. This is important, as even a little fall out means degradation in the quality of the oil. It is always better to go for branded products because this way you can reduce a lot of headaches!!
A few things which you should remember while storing castor oil:
- Since getting exposed to excessive heat can degrade castor oil, it is always preferable to keep them in a place where the temperature is somewhere around 55-75 degrees Fahrenheit(like a pantry or room shelf).
- Exposure to moisture can also adversely affect the quality of castor oil, as this will increase the rate of degradation. So it is essential to keep them away from areas with any presence of moisture.
- Castor oil should never come in direct contact with sunlight because that could lead to faster degradation of the oil. So the best bet will be to keep the castor oil in a cupboard which is probably away from heat and moisture.
- In any case, always try to use castor oil within 6 months of the manufacturing date. Since they are volatile, most of the time, they won’t be able to hold on to their beneficial properties after the expiry date. The thick and clumsy nature of oil is considered as a good indicator of poor quality.
- Castor oil is found to have a pretty long shelf life. So you can use them for as long as you want until it smells terrible! Keeping them on a refrigerator is also a good idea, but more than the temperature, it is the presence of light that harms the oil. Hence dark and opaque bottles are the best choice for practical storage.
These are some of the things that you can keep in mind while using castor oil. If you are ready to take proper care, you can use castor oil for a long time.