Most of us have suffered from a bad acne skin condition at least once in our lifetimes, but for many others it can be an ongoing problem. This is because the bacteria that causes acne—propionbacterium acnes—lives on almost every human’s skin, but particularly on the face. Usually the other natural bacteria on our skin keep the acne bacteria in check. But various factors can cause the bacteria to thrive and grow—including hormones, medications, and stress—and soon your face, upper chest, and back can be red and inflamed, and full of red or pus-filled pimples.
Aloe vera is naturally sourced from the aloe vera plant. It’s one of the best treatments to help heal up your bad acne condition, heal up scars, and prevent pimples from reoccurring again.
What is Aloe Vera?
The Aloe vera plant is a type of succulent that’s often mistaken for a cactus, but it’s actually in the genus Aloe and Asphodelaceae family. It’s a common and easy-to-grow plant in gardens, greenhouses, and containers, and grows quickly. It has a distinctive long green structure with pointed limbs and spikes down its sides. The most common type is called Aloe Barbendensis Miller.
Aloe vera is used in a wide variety of cosmetics, lotions, and creams. A soft clear gel is removed from the insides of its limbs. A small piece can be broken off the tips, and it’ll naturally heal itself. This gel is safe for direct application to the skin. You can even purchase aloe vera juice, which is good for soothing upset stomachs and intestinal conditions. It’s even used as a vegan substitute for making gel-like desserts.
It’s believed the plant first occurred in the middle east, but today it can be grown in almost any part of the world that has a mild to hot climate. Even though the plant is often grown as an ornamental, it has many uses in cosmetics and the health industries.
How Aloe Vera Can Help Your Acne Condition
Here are some reasons why you should choose aloe vera first before reaching for that store-bought acne preparation.
- Aloe vera contains various healing and antiseptic compounds to heal and prevent acne. Gibberellins is a growth hormone, and glucomannan is a mannose-rich polysaccharide that all work together as an antiseptic to heal acne.
- Aloe vera absorbs excess oil which is a cause of skin pores clogging up.
- The glycol-proteins in it work at reducing inflammation, redness, and irritation that results in pimples.
- Aloe vera is a natural antioxidant.
- Aloe vera contains essential nutrients, such as vitamins C and E, and zinc.
- It’s also full of catechins, carbohydrates, amino acids, carotenoids, and flavonoids.
- It works as an astringent on the skin, cleaning it, and clearing out pores of sebum, dirt, and dead skin cells.
- It stimulates the skin to promote new cell growth.
What Is the Best Way to Use Aloe Vera for Acne?
To utilize aloe vera for your acne condition, you can purchase aloe vera in a tube or a container. This format is easier for you to carry in your bag or purse, so you can apply it at any time of day. Aloe vera will not only help your face to heal from acne, but provide a bit of moisture to keep it from drying out. It’ll also make your face feel fresh and clean, after all that excess oil has been weighing it down.
It’s simply to use aloe vera to help your acne skin condition. You may also make up special recipes with aloe vera that will help your face to heal even faster than just using the aloe vera gel by itself.
Follow these steps to cleanse and moisturize your face.
- Use a clean washcloth that is soft and not harsh or rough.
- Wash your face with a gentle soap and warm water.
- Pat dry with a clean soft towel.
- Apply a 1/4 tablespoon of aloe vera from the bottle to your clean dry skin.
- Gently smooth it around your face. Its safe to use around eyes, mouth, and ears.
- Avoid using cosmetics until most of your acne has healed up.
- If you have acne on your body, have a shower with soap and water first, then apply the aloe vera gel to the affected regions of your body.
- Use a clean washcloth and towel each and every time to avoid passing bacteria back and forth.
1. Aloe Vera & Lemon Acne Face Wash Recipe
A soothing face wash containing aloe vera gel and lemon juice will help to heal your bad acne inflammation that you’ve been battling for months. You may also have scars over several months, so the lemon juice will work at healing and lightening them up.
Ingredients for Aloe Vera & Lemon Acne Recipe
Collect together the following ingredients to make up a simple aloe vera gel and lemon face wash.
- 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel from your favourite brand.
- 1/8 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Small bowl or glass.
- Small spoon.
- Fresh and clean facecloth and hand towel.
How to Mix up and Use Your Aloe Vera & Lemon Acne Recipe
Follow these steps to mix up your special aloe vera and lemon juice remedy for acne.
- Pour both ingredients into your small bowl or glass.
- Mix well with the spoon.
- Apply to your face.
- Avoid getting around your eyes. Pat dry with a facecloth if you do.
- Gently massage the mixture around your face.
- If treatment is in the morning, wait one minute, then wash off with warm water.
- If treatment is at bedtime, rinse your face off, then apply a second coating and let dry. Wash your face normally in the morning.
- After washing your face, apply plain aloe vera gel and let dry.
- Avoid putting powder or foundation on your face. You can still wear eye makeup if you wish to look your best.
- Continue your aloe vera and lemon treatments twice a day for two weeks.
2. Aloe Vera Gel with Honey Mask Recipe to Heal Acne
This second recipe is for an aloe vera gel and honey mask recipe that you can leave on your face for ten minutes, then wash off.
Ingredients for Aloe Vera Gel with Honey Mask Recipe
Collect together the following ingredients for your aloe vera gel and honey mask recipe.
- 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- 1 tablespoon of honey (as natural and organic as you can buy).
- Small bowl.
- Small spoon.
- Fresh and clean facecloth and hand towel.
How to Mix and Use Your Aloe Vera Gel with Honey Mask Recipe
Follow these steps and you’ll discover how simple it is to make your own healing face masks for acne that are affordable and full of only natural ingredients for your skin.
- Pour both aloe vera gel and honey into a small bowl.
- Mix it well with a spoon.
- Apply the mixture to your face with your fingertips.
- Smooth it around, avoiding region around the eyes and the hairline.
- Massage gently for one minute.
- Leave your face mask on for ten minutes.
- Use a clean washcloth if any slides down your face, or even better, apply your face mask in the shower or bath.
- When ten minutes is up, wash the mask off your face with warm water and a damp washcloth.
- Pat skin dry.
- Apply a bit of pure aloe vera to your face to moisturize it.
- Do your aloe and honey mask treatments at least once a day for two weeks.
Other Ingredients to Add to Your Aloe Vera Skincare Recipes
Besides adding lemon and honey to your aloe vera skin treatments to help heal acne and improve acne scars, there are also many other natural ingredients you can add. Use only one or two at a time, as you don’t want to overwhelm your face.
- Pinch of turmeric, which is known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lime or grapefruit juice for when you don’t have lemon.
- A few drops of calendula tincture.
- A couple drops of tea tree oil, which is naturally antiseptic.
How Long Will Aloe Vera Take to Work?
There are many factors at work with your acne skin condition, but if you ensure you wash your face at least three times a day, and use the aloe vera on a regular basis, you should begin seeing results in the first week.
- It should take about two weeks to begin to see a noticeable difference in your facial appearance.
- Acne pimples should begin to heal and smooth out, and no new pimples should start.
- After one week you should begin to see your acne problem clearing, and no new pimples flaring up.
- You’ll begin to see old acne scars lighten up after two weeks.
- Using this mask will also prevent new formations of pimples, which can lead to scars. Prevention is best, to avoid further scarring.
What About Aloe Vera for Dark Spots?
Dark spots on your face are often caused by pimples that have burst, leaving a scab, and then a small scar after they have dried and healed up. While the best way to avoid scars is by not picking at your pimples, it can be difficult to manage, as often they can break open while washing.
Aloe vera can take some time to remove your dark spots caused by pimple scarring, but the healing process can go faster than simply doing nothing at all. It takes about two weeks for the upper layer of your epidermis to slough off, and another six weeks for the upper layers of your skin to totally refreshen.
If you have extensive scarring on your face, it may be best to see a dermatologist, as they have special treatments for radical cases. But for most people, they’ll begin to see improvement within the month.
You’ll also discover that aloe vera soothes your skin, so you won’t be tempted to pick at your pimples, and it will heal them more quickly too.
Precautions and Warnings When Trying to Clear Skin of Acne
Even though aloe vera and other natural ingredients are better at healing up your acne, you should be aware that these ingredients can still cause allergic reactions. It’s best to be aware that they can cause issues for some people.
- If your aloe vera treatments are making your acne worse, such as causing additional hives, welts, redness, or inflammation, then discontinue usage.
- If your pimples are bleeding, it’s best to let them heal up before starting treatment.
- It’s normal to have a bit of pus coming from whiteheads, but if it’s extreme, this could be an indication of a more serious skin infection. Seek proper medical treatment from a doctor or clinic.
- If your treatments aren’t working at all, but no better or worse, you may still need to seek medical advice if you’re worried about scarring.
- Remember to wash your face and moisturize, even if your skin is sore or itchy, as you must still maintain basic hygiene and keep your skin from drying out.
Where Can I Buy Aloe Vera?
You want to ensure that you buy only the purest form of aloe vera gel. Unfortunately, many pharmacy brands are filled with synthetic colours and ingredients as fillers, with very little aloe vera gel. Look for something that has over 98% real aloe vera.
You can find good aloe vera in tubes or containers from the following locations.
- Drugstores and pharmacies.
- Grocery stores and supermarkets.
- Vitamin and supplement stores.
- Natural foods stores.
- Directly from manufacturers’ websites.
- From the Amazon site.
Try Aloe Vera to Help Your Bad Acne Skin Condition Today
If you’re tired of suffering from itchy and sore pimples from acne, and embarrassed by red inflamed skin, try aloe vera today. Aloe vera will help to sooth the pain and itch while your acne condition heals up. You can also add different natural ingredients to improve your skincare recipes. Best of all, aloe vera is affordable, and one bottle will last you several months.
Soon you’ll have clear and glowing skin, which will puzzle your friends and colleagues as they try to figure out what you changed in your beauty routine.