Sweet almond oil has been known as a carrier oil for essential oils for decades, but can also be used alone as a moisturizer for hair. Due to its natural compounds, such as vitamins B, C, and E, and protein, fatty acids, and essential minerals, it can also provide healing benefits to certain hair conditions such as thinning hair and hair loss.
There are many reasons why sweet almond oil works better than any natural oil, and it should never be mistaken for bitter almond oil, which is an essential oil.
3 Ways Sweet Almond Oil Can Benefit Your Hair
Sweet almond oil contains incredible lubricating properties that can smooth out dry or sensitive skin, including the scalp. Here are just a few of the benefits to help you decide whether it’s right for you.
- Use as a hot oil treatment. The oil will provide moisturizing properties so your hair won’t be as dry throughout the day.
- Use for styling hair. If your hair is frizzy or unkempt, you can use sweet almond oil instead of hairspray or hair gels to help keep it in place. Just use a dab of the oil.
- Massage oil. Use the oil as a massage oil for your scalp to get your circulation going, which will encourage healthy hair growth.
How to Make a Softening Hair Mask with Sweet Almond Oil
Instead of buying those little tubes of hot oil hair treatment packs from the store that contain questionable ingredients, you can make your softening hair mask in the comfort of your own home.
Collect together the following ingredients on this list to get started.
- 2 tablespoons pure sweet almond oil.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon raw honey.
- 2 drops tea tree oil.
- A small bowl.
- Small teaspoon.
- Clean towel.
- Shampoo—Choose a natural brand with few ingredients.
Follow these steps to create your mask.
- Measure out all ingredients and pour them into the bowl.
- Stir thoroughly with the spoon.
How to Use Your Sweet Almond Oil Hair Mask
Next, do these steps to apply your almond mask to your hair.
- Pour some of the oil into the palms of your hands.
- Rub palms together to get the oil warmed up.
- Start at your scalp.
- Massage the oil throughout your scalp.
- Add more oil to your hands and use it to spread throughout all of the strands of your hair.
- Cover with a warm towel from the dryer.
- Sit and relax for twenty minutes.
- Remove towel.
- Wash your hair with a minimum of shampoo.
- Avoid using conditioner as you already have conditioned it with the mask.
- Towel or air dry and style normally.
- Avoid using hairspray or gels.
Side Effects & Precautions When Using Sweet Almond Oil
Just like with any cosmetic or beauty product, you may need to exercise some cautions during usage.
- Don’t overuse the sweet almond oil. This may cause you to shampoo twice, which defeats the purpose. Over-shampooing can also strip your scalp of its natural oils.
- Test a few drops of sweet almond oil on the inside of your wrist before using it to ensure that you’re not allergic to it. If you get a hive, welt, or redness, discontinue use.
- Sweet almond oil is safe around eyes and mouth, so don’t worry if any gets near, wipe off with a damp facecloth.
- Store your sweet almond oil bottle in a dark cupboard in the kitchen, away from any warm appliance. Keep it in the back, so it doesn’t tip over and break or spill.
- Avoid using your fingertips directly on the bottle’s spout to avoid introducing contaminants inside the oil.