Many people have problematic skin that takes extra care to make it look good. Some people resort to covering up bad skin with cosmetics, but all that does it mask the problem until you wash it off again. It all starts with a good skin care routine from soap to moisturizer. African black soap is a special soap that is actually black or dark brown in colour, and has many benefits for people who suffer from unsightly skin conditions, particularly on the face.
This soap is also known as black soap, anago soap, alata simena, and dudu-osun. It has been used for centuries to heal and prevent problematic skin conditions. It’s believed that it’s been used in Africa going back to ancient times.
What Does Black Soap Do?
Using black soap has many benefits. It can thin out fine lines on aged skin or skin that has been exposed to too much sunlight from an early age. It can help to even out age spots or scars. It can soothe bumps caused by razors. It’s also suitable for using on skin that is susceptible to eczema or other inflammatory skin conditions such as dermatitis or psoriasis.
It can also be used by people to simply keep their skin looking healthier. It also has some light exfoliation properties to slough off dead skin and make skin glow.
You can use black soap on any skin colour, type of skin from oily to dry, and within in any age range. You can apply moisturizers or makeup after washing your face with black soap.
Most black soap has little smell to it, which also makes it suitable for use by people who have skin or respiratory allergies. Some brands do add natural fragrance, so be aware before purchasing.
What Are the Ingredients of Black Soap?
The ingredients of black soap are quite interesting. Black soap is made the way soap has been made for centuries. It is made from certain organic matter which is converted to ash. Oils are added to create the soap. Ash and oils are two of the most common ingredients sourced to make most types of soap today.
- It begins by harvesting plants such as cocoa pods, palm tree leaves, plantain, or shea tree bark.
- This organic matter is sundried.
- Using an even temperature, the organic ash matter is roasted in a big metal pot.
- Certain oils such as coconut, palm, and palm kernel are added.
- The mixture is cooked for one day.
- What results is soap.
- The soap is left to cure.
- Other processes may be done where other ingredients are added, or moulds are used to form soap bars.
- If plantain is used to make the soap it will contain a high amount of Vitamins A and E, and iron.
- If shea tree bark is used, it can offer some UV protection.
African Black Soap for Acne
Acne is troublesome for teenagers, but many adults find they still suffer from acne right into their 40s. Acne is caused by a bacteria, but if you fail to look after your face, it can soon spread to your entire face and upper back. It becomes worse if you scratch it or try to burst the clogged oil glands. Over time, it can leave unsightly scars. Most people who get acne realize that they must start some sort of treatment in order to get it to go away faster.
There are many topical treatments for acne, but often they tend to completely dry the skin or expose the body to medicinal side effects for longterm usage. Often it doesn’t look much better after these types of treatment.
The best method is to use African black soap to clear up an outbreak faster, and then use it during regular intervals to help prevent a further outbreak. The beneficial healing properties of black soap will kill the bacteria that causes acne, and help your skin to fight off another outbreak.
African black soap is simple to use and only takes a few steps.
How to Use African Black Soap for Acne
It’s simple to use African black soap to get rid of acne. Simply follow these steps to help your skin heal faster, and to give your skin a healthy natural glow.
- Before you use it on your face or body do a skin test on your inner wrist first.
- If there is no reaction, go ahead and use it on your face.
- You may feel a tingling sensation when you first use the black soap, but this is normal. Your skin should adjust after a few days of usage.
- You may wish to use your soap with some natural oils which will provide moisture and dilute the soap.
- Choose three drops of either jojoba oil, argan oil, or rosehip oil.
- These oils contain the properties that are present in the natural oils that your face produces.
- Lather up your soap in your hands with soap and water.
- Add your three drops of oil.
- Wash your face normally.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
- There is no need to add additional moisturizer as the oils you added are enough.
African Black Soap Uses & Benefits
African black soap has many more uses and benefits than using it on acne-prone skin. Check through this list and see if there are benefits for you.
- Use it for a general skin cleanser.
- Use it instead of regular soap for your sensitive skin that can react to the hidden ingredients of regular store-bought bar soap.
- Great for soothing the itch and pain from eczema.
- Can even out skin discolourations caused by scarring, sunburns, or acne. It contains essential fatty acids that can help the skin to heal.
- Calm the wide dry, itchy, and flaky patches from psoriasis.
- Generally calm skin that suffers from allergies or stress-related rashes.
- Calm down overactive oil glands.
- Minimize fine lines and wrinkles on your face.
- Unclogs pores and keeps them clear.
- Gets rid of blackheads.
- Will soothe razor burn and bumps caused by shaving.
- It will help to cure fungal infections on any part of the body.
- It will control bad body odour.
African Black Soap Reviews
When shopping for African black soap you’ll want to read the reviews for each type to ensure you’re buying a quality brand. Each may also have some slightly different properties which may be more suitable for certain types of skin. Three great soaps to take a closer look at include Incredible Best Quality African Black Soap, Shea Moisture African Black Soap Bar, and the Nubian African Black Soap with Oats, Aloe and Vitamin E.
1. Incredible by Nature – Best Quality African Black Soap
- Suitable for use on all skin types.
- Fragrance-free solid soap bar.
- Made with unrefined shea butter and gentle moisturizing ingredients.
- 100% pure and natural.
- 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee if your skin doesn’t improve.
Buy this soap for its healing powers. It is completely handmade with natural unrefined shea butter. It will leave your skin feeling soft and smooth. Shea butter naturally contains vitamins A and E which have been proven to strengthen skin and repair damage. The soap can also be used to heal burns, sores, scars, and rashes. Its natural properties will help in the production of healthy skin cells, while decreasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
This soap also contains cocoa pod butter, which will also soften and firm up the skin. Cocoa naturally contains antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties to help heal the skin. There is also palm kernel oil which contains lauric acid, and the soap has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Another beneficial ingredient is coconut oil which provides a layer of moisture, and will heal dry skin.
2. Shea Moisture African Black Soap Bar
- Dark black soap bar.
- Will clean, moisturize, and comfort skin all at once.
- Absorbs excess oil and will control over-production of oily skin.
- Will help to clear skin of blemishes.
- Beneficial for relieving skin of eczema, psoriasis, and more.
This soap brand utilizes recipes that have been handed down by a healer over the decades. This type of soap has a history first recorded in Sierra Leone in 1912. After regular use it will give a person smoother and more radiant skin. One of the beneficial ingredients is shea butter, along with some of the best ingredients from around the world.
Other beneficial ingredients in this soap include oats, aloe, plantain extract, and rosemary extract. This soap has a slightly sweet smell to it that is pleasant. It’s made in the USA. You’ll find that it works quickly, and it can even help in keeping body odour in check. One bar measures 2.5” x 1” x 4 inches, and weighs 8 ounces.
3. Nubian Heritage African Black Soap, 5 Oz
- Contains oats, aloe, and vitamin E.
- Perfect for anti-blemish, detoxifying, and healing purposes.
- 4 bars of 5 ounces/141 grams in package.
- Bars are pure black with rounded corners.
- Soap will target trouble spots without over-drying.
Each five ounce bar of soap contains shea butter, oats, aloe, tamarind extract, plantain peel extract, papaya enzymes and salicylic acid. These ingredients have been used in Africa for centuries to treat different skin conditions. This soap has a deep cleansing formula that helps with exfoliation. It will slough off dead skin cells to reveal fresh new skin beneath, and encourage the growth of new skin cells.
The Nubian brand creates products with natural ingredients, with a light fragrance for those who don’t want an unscented product. They utilize natural, herbal, and aromatic recipes to produce the finest products. The goal of the company is to establish balance and harmony in our lives.
Precautions & Safety Measures
There are certain precautions that you should note when using African black soap. You may need to use your soap in a special way to avoid irritation or redness.
- The soap has some mild antiseptic and exfoliant properties, so don’t use it with a loofah mitt, glove, or plastic scrubbie.
- It’s better to use your hands to wash your face, but if you must use a facecloth, choose one made from 100% cotton or bamboo, rather than one meant for scrubbing.
- Lather up with soap and water in your hands rather than wrapping the cloth around the soap bar. Your soap bar will last a lot longer.
- Less is more. There is no need to use a lot of soap all at once.
- Pat your face with the cloth or towel and never scrub.
- Discontinue use if you are experiencing any skin irritation. It could mean that you’re allergic to one or more of the ingredients.
- Read the soap label carefully, because you may still be able to use one of the other types of African black soap that only lists a few ingredients.
- If you’re using your soap to heal your skin it may take several weeks before your skin can fully heal up. Generally it takes your skin 27 days to regenerate.
- Avoid getting the soap in your eyes. Rinse immediately if you do.
- If you have any concerns, test the soap on a small patch of your inner wrist first.
- You can use your black soap up to twice daily.
Many people use African black soap for their entire body, but you can also choose to use it on problematic regions such as face or upper back. Once you start to use the black soap you may discover that it’s the only soap you want to use. Often store brand soaps contain too many synthetic or unlisted ingredients, and liquid soaps are no better. You’ll discover that many black soaps contain only naturally sourced ingredients, and ones which you can actually pronounce the ingredient’s names. There may be a few brands that list several ingredients, but it’s up to you which ones you want to try.
Use African black soap for your morning and evening skin cleaning rituals and soon you’ll have healthy radiant looking skin.