Remedies for improving nail growth may not come in good looking bottles or in the form of pastes. We can easily make them at home and have lasting results which cannot be said about some of these popular cosmetic products. In this article, we will be discussing top 10 natural tips and tricks you can follow for growing your nails.
There are some factors that prevents nail growth, they include nail problems, splitting, breakage, brittle nails etc. There are some natural ways which you can follow to get back strong and healthy nails like nutrient rich diets and lifestyles.
Now are you ready to discover these beautiful remedies?
1. Orange Juice
A wonderful home remedy capable of boosting your nail development is orange juice. The abundance of Vitamin C will facilitate the production of collagen which will help to make your nails healthier and stronger with time. They also have large amount of folic acid which is found to improve the growth of nails.
- Make fresh orange juice and place it on a bowl.
- Soak your nails on the bowl for around 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water, pat dry and apply some natural moisturizer.
- Follow these steps at least once a day, until you see effective results.
2. Lemon Juice
Just like orange, lemon is also considered as a great home remedy for nail growth because of the excessive amount of Vitamin C in them. They are also found to get rid of yellow nails and give it a nice shine.
- Make a mix of lemon juice and olive oil. Heat the mixture for a while and soak your nails for around 10-15 minutes.
- Rubbing your nails with a slice of lemon is also considered as a good idea. Work this out for 10 minutes and wash it off with warm water. Dry it off and apply a bit of moisturizer. But before performing this rubbing, make sure your nails have no cuts or bruises as it may sting.
It is said that a lot of vitamins are necessary for health growth of nails. Hence proper supply of vitamins is very much essential for maintaining health in general and nail health in specific. In that sense, biotin is an important vitamin which is capable of stimulating the growth of nails as it improves the keratin structure.
- The best way to get biotin is to include them in our diet. Like eating walnuts, soybeans, almonds, tomatoes, eggs etc.
- Biotin supplements are also available in plenty, but make sure you consult a doctor before using them.
Slow rate of nail growth and other related abnormalities associated with nails are often linked with deficiency of biotin.
Tomatoes are found to contain large amount of biotin and lycopene, which is capable of growing your nails and thicken it up naturally to give it a shiny look. They are also full of Vitamin A and Vitamin C than that is present in an orange. Eating tomatoes raw is more effective, as cooking might get rid of the Vitamin C present in it.
With tomatoes, you can also make good quality nail soaks which will help to grow the nails longer and faster.
- Make a mix of tomato juice and rosemary essential oil.
- Soak your nails in it for around 5-10 minutes.
- It will moisturize and enhance the color of nails.
There is no wonder that bananas boosts the energy level by a great extent mainly because of its rich potassium content. Bananas are also loaded with silica and zinc, which is found to improve the look and feel of nails and strengthens up it. They also contains B6, a vitamin well known for supporting healthy nails.
You can try out eating bananas as a mid morning & a mid afternoon snack for improving nail growth. It is also good to include them as part of morning oatmeal or cereal to enjoy good health benefits.
According to ancient medical experts, herbs is considered as a smart way to improve nail growth and among herbs horsetail is something which is found to be very effective in doing the same. Being source of calcium, silica and other useful minerals, horsetail contributes a lot in maintaining the health of your nails.
- Prepare 2-3 cups of boiled water and add a teaspoon of dried horsetail.
- Cover it up and allow it to steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain and let it cool off naturally.
- Soak your nails for 20-30 minutes in the mixture.
- Follow this procedure at least 4 – 5 times per week.
It is also good to drink or consume horsetail tea once or twice daily for achieving healthy nails.
7. Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a rich source of beta-carotene and antioxidant which is of great importance to the body. They can boost immunity and promote stronger and healthy nails. They are packed with antioxidant beta-carotene which will get converted to Vitamin A. Lack of this vitamin can lead to dry and brittle nails.
- Cook full sweet potatoes with water in a pressure cooker for 7-10 minutes.
- Once it is cooked, allow it to cool and remove the skin of potatoes.
- Consume at least 3 half cup servings of boiled sweet potatoes for healthy and strong nails.
- You can also try baked and roasted sweet potatoes.
By including these super-foods in your diet plan, it is sure that you can enjoy healthy and strong nails.
8. Olive Oil
Keeping your nails well moisturized is essential for promoting the growth. Olive oil is one of the best natural home remedy for nail growth. It penetrates deep into the skin and nails thereby nourishing them. It also contains vitamin E, which improves blood circulation which will repair damaged nails and promote nail growth.
- Apply warm olive oil to nails, before you sleep. Massage them for 5 – 10 minutes and leave it overnight. You can also wear gloves to moisturize your nails.
- You can also soak your nails in warm olive oil for around 30 minutes.
- Try to follow these steps once or twice daily.
Dehydration has a huge impact on the overall health of your nails, just like it does for the rest of the body. Dehydration can lead to cuticles and weak nails. So for preventing dehydration, it will be better to consume 8 – 10 glasses of water a day.
Also try to have more fruits and vegetables that are rich in water content. If possible avoid drinking tea, coffee, alcohol and carbonated drinks as they can cause more dehydration.
After reading through this article on 10 natural tips for nail growth, we hope that you have learned some useful ways of making your nails grow quicker and effectively. Make sure you consult a doctor in case any of these above mentioned remedies doesn’t bring better results. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave your comments below and we will get back to you at the earliest.