Castor oil has been in use as hair oil for ages and it has shown remarkable results. It is also used as a moisturizer to treat skin related problems.
If you use castor oil on a regular basis, it’s good to know a thing or two about how it should be stored or how long does it last.
What’s the best way to store castor oil? Many of you might have this question in your mind.
Of course, there are several ways through which you could store castor oil, but make sure you protect it from certain environmental conditions in order to prevent it from getting spoiled.
In fact while making purchase, make sure the oil bottle is properly closed and tightly packed. This is important, as even a little fall out means degradation in the quality of oil.
It is always better to go for branded products, because this way you can reduce a lot of headache!!
Here we will discuss a few thing which you should remember while storing castor oil.
- Since getting exposed to excessive heat can degrade castor oil, it is always preferable to keep them in a place where the temperature is somewhere around 55 – 75 degrees Fahrenheit(like a pantry or room shelf).
- Exposure to moisture can also adversely affect the quality of castor oil. As this will increase the rate of degradation. So it is important to keep them away from areas with any presence of moisture.
- Castor oil should never come in direct contact with sunlight because even in a cool dry room they could lead to faster degradation of oil. So the best bet will be to keep castor oil in a cupboard which is probably away from heat and moisture.
- In any case, always try to use castor oil within 6 months of manufacturing date. Since they are volatile in nature, most of the time they won’t be able to hold on to their beneficial properties after the expiry date. Thick and clumsy nature of oil is considered as a good indicator of poor quality.
- Castor oil is found to have a pretty long shelf life. So you can use them for as long as you want until it smells bad! Keeping them on a refrigerator is also a good idea, but more than the temperature it is the the presence of light that has a negative impact on the oil. Hence dark and opaque bottles are the best choice for effective storage.
These are some of the things that you can keep in mind while using castor oil. If you are ready to take proper care, you can use castor oil for a long time.