Carrot oil also known as carrot seed oil is considered as an essential oil with plenty of uses. It is basically a thick orange colored paste which is at its best, when used in the purest form. They are found to be effective in retaining fluids in our body thereby moisturizing the skin.
Carrot oil is capable of providing us numerous benefits which means a little bit of it will go a long way, so use it wisely and enjoy their powers. Through this article, we will be discussing in detail on how carrot oil improves the quality of hair and skin.
What is Carrot Oil?
Carrot seed oil as the name indicates is extracted through steam distillation, mainly from the dried seeds of carrot. This gentle oil is famous for its antibacterial and healing properties. They are found to be capable of infusing moisture to dry skin, scalp and hair. Whether you opt to use it on its own or along with other carrier oils is completely your choice.
Carrot seed oil is a softening substance capable of lubricating the cells in the outermost layer of skin. The oil helps to restore moisture that is lost from skin due to evaporation, making it a useful ingredient in moisturizers. The healing properties of carrot seed oil also allows it to soften up the skin tissues. Hence they are considered as an important ingredient in products used for the treatment of eczema and other skin related issues.
Now that we understood what carrot oil is and how it is extracted, let us now see some of the major health benefits of using carrot oil.
Benefits of Carrot Oil
- Prevents Cancer : Carrot oil is found to be effective in curing some forms of cancer, especially those in stomach, mouth and kidneys. These anti cancerous properties is partly due to its antioxidant features, but also because of various medicinal properties of its natural components.
- Antiviral & Antiseptic : Carrot seed oil is powerful enough to cure various kinds of infections. The antiseptic properties helps them to fight against the effects of infections. They are found to be extremely effective in curing sores, ulcers and other stomach related problems.
- As a Stimulant : Carrot oil is capable of stimulating both circulation and metabolic functions. Apart from that, they can also stimulate secretion of hormones, enzymes etc. In fact they can even make you feel more alert and active by stimulating brain functions and nerves.
- Detoxifier : Carrot seed oil has the ability to detoxify blood, tissues and other internal organs like liver and kidneys. Moreover they can eliminates toxins like uric acid present in blood, tissues and joints. This will help to cure arthritis and rheumatism to a great extend.
- As a Stress Reliever : Carrot seed oil is widely used in aromatherapy because of its mild and soothing aroma, which is found to be very effective in relieving stress and anxiety. They can also protect the skin from getting wrinkles. They are capable of relieving muscle aches, enhance the production of erythrocytes and improve eyesight.
These are some of the major benefits of using carrot seed oil.
Now that we are aware of the major applications of carrot oil, let us see how it can be used to improve the health of our hair and skin.
Carrot Oil for Hair
As we know, carrot has many nutrients which are good for hair like vitamins A & E. They are capable of promoting hair growth and can even prevent hair loss, which indirectly helps to retain the growth. It is said that regular usage of carrot oil can strengthen and make your hair shinier. They are considered as an excellent moisturizer for both hair and skin.
Now let us see some of the major benefits of carrot oil for hair.
- Stimulates hair growth
- Makes hair smooth, soft and shiny
- Improves blood circulation
- Strengthening of hair roots
- Prevents hair from environmental damages like sunlight, pollution etc
In order to achieve above mentioned benefits, it is important to use it on a regular basis.
Let us see some of the recipes that you can make with carrot for improving hair growth.
Hair Mask Using Carrot
A highly therapeutic carrot hair mask is rich in moisture content and provides most optimal hair and scalp nourishment.
- Take 1 Carrot and Banana. Peel them off.
- Cut them into little pieces and add a bit of olive oil into this mixture.
- Mix this in a blender by combining with curd and make a paste of it.
- Make sure the paste is not very thick.
- Apply this hair mask gently on your hair for around 30 minutes and wash it off with a shampoo.
Presence of carrot in the hair mask will stimulate the hair growth, prevent hair breakage and improve the health of your hair.
Apart from hair masking, you can also try out hair conditioning with carrot oil. You can do so by heating up ½ cup of carrot oil in a bowl and applying them gently onto your hair. It is also good to apply a moisturizing conditioner on top of this. Cover this with a shower cap and sit under a dryer for 30 minutes, then wash it off thoroughly and style it as usual. This special treatment will leave your hair soft and moisturized.
This is meant for those people who are bored with oiling their hair. For making this paste, all you need is 1-2 carrots, they need to be cut into small pieces.
Mix them along with olive oil or some other essential oils. After mixing these ingredients together, heat it for around 5 minutes. After heating, blend them well by adding a little amount of curd. Finally you will get a mixture, which looks like a smoothie!! But don’t bother drinking it, apply them gently onto your hair and leave it untouched for 30 minutes. Once the time is over, rinse it out with a good shampoo. This pre-shampoo treatment will initiate hair growth and will make your hair smooth and healthy!
How does Carrot Oil strengthens your Hair?
Of course we know carrot oil can largely improve the strength of your hair. But to achieve that you need to apply a recipe to your hair on a regular basis.
This treatment involves the following steps :
- Take half cup of carrot oil and boil it.
- Now part hair in sections and apply them directly onto your scalp.
- Once all your head is covered, begin massaging your scalp in circular manner.
- Continue this process for about 15 minutes, until you are sure that the oil is completely absorbed into scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and sit under a dryer for an hour.
- Now you are free to wash off it thoroughly.
It is very important to follow the above mentioned techniques in order to achieve full benefits of carrot oil.
Now that we have got an idea about how carrot oil effectively improves the quality of our hair, let us see how it can be used for improving the health of our skin.
Carrot Oil for Skin
Carrot oil is an important ingredient in most of the skin care products. They are capable of adding moisture or antioxidant protection to skin. There are mainly two variants of carrot oil – carrot seed oil and carrot root carrier oil. Both are similar in nature and has same properties. They can soothe your skin and help in preventing wrinkles or stretch marks from appearing. The abundance of nutrients in carrot oil makes it a wonderful aid for taking care of your skin.
How to use Carrot Oil on Skin?
Carrot oil thus made can be used in many ways. We will discuss some of them here.
- As Directly : Insert 4-5 drops of carrot seed oil on a bowl and apply them gently to your skin. It is better to use them at night. This will help to reduce thin lines and wrinkles in skin.
- Carrot Shampoo Bar : Yes you heard it right! A highly effective shampoo bar can be made with the help of carrot oil, milk and honey. This shampoo can help you keep your skin smooth and moisturized at the same time.
- Create a Carrot oil Lotion : There is no other better way than applying the carrot oil all over your skin. And lotion is the best way to achieve that.
Now that we have discussed in detail about the various properties and methods through which carrot oil can be used effectively. Let us see what are the precautions one must take while using carrot oil.
Things You Should Remember
Carrot seed oil should definitely be avoided by pregnant women. As it may affect the health of both the child and mother. Apart from pregnant women, those people suffering from epilepsy or asthma should also avoid using carrot seed oil. It is assumed that carrot oil is actually good for respiratory problems, but over usage of carrot oil can lead to concussions and vomiting.
Also try not to apply carrot seed oil on your skin without mixing it with some sort of carrier oil like coconut or olive. It is also important to stay indoors or cover up your body parts after applying them on the skin, at least for 2-3 days. In fact you can even try out a skin test to see whether the oil is good for your skin. Place a drop of carrot seed oil on a small portion of your skin and wait for a day. If there is no sign of skin irritations, it means carrot oil is perfectly suited to your skin.
Above all carrot oil has numerous benefits for hair and skin. However proper care must be taken while using them, as any change in proportions on either side might leave us to terrible conditions. So always make sure that use them in limited quantities.
Where Can I find them?
As we discussed earlier, you can always make good quality carrot oil at home. But sometimes we might not have enough time for ingredients to make them at home. So it was always good to keep a check on where you could get them. You can find good quality carrot oils at local stores. Make sure you check the label before buying it. In case you have any doubts, feel free to ask it with the salesman.
To summarize, carrot oil is an oil with numerous benefits that could not only improve the quality of our hair and skin, but also improve the quality of our body as a whole. It is an oil which is strongly attached to the nature, hence most of the time it can be consumed without any worries of side effects.
However make sure you use them at an optimum level of usage, as any over dosage may cause adverse effects. In case you are not fully committed or unsure about the benefits of carrot oil, you can always make a version of it at home and try out. If the results are positive, you can buy out a better quality carrot oil from any local store or drugstore.
We hope you enjoyed reading this article on carrot oil. We would love to hear from you on your experiences of using carrot oil and how it improved the health of your hair and skin. Feel free to drop in your valuable feedback and queries. We shall answer it at the earliest.